Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Ithaca
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and yours. You’re likely thinking about the ways you should personalize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, be sure you consider home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about protected should always be a major emphasis, and we’ll show you the way with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Ithaca.
Conduct a safety review of your new Ithaca property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, find out what your new home has in place. To begin, make certain you have operational fire alarms. Inspect all of them and switch out batteries if required. Are CO detectors in the house? Did you find a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a perfect time to update door locks and investigate all window locks. Go room-by-room and get familiar with your property.
Smart security tips for your Ithaca home
Once you’ve done your opening inspection of locks and safety alarms, you should consider enhancing your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in Ithaca.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Ithaca is a home security system. Today’s wireless advancements let you keep a close watch on your residence even when you’re away. You can review up-to-the-second video footage, engage locking systems, and even speak with guests on your front steps right from your mobile device. You can even custom-tailor your system with incredible security features like surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Outside lights with motion sensors are a great solution in discouraging potential intruders. You may even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. The activating of a motion sensor can tell your surveillance to begin recording.
- Keep your property maintained. Are you able to see all of your property through your windows? Are there overgrown trees and bushes obstructing your view? Get rid of possible hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will appreciate it also.
- Make friends with people in your area. One more thing about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friendly with people around you, they’ll be more prone to let you know if they detect suspicious behavior. You can also get involved in your community’s social media page if one is created.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you install a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re home by activating smart lights at predetermined times. This is a fantastic feature when you’re away.